Friday 27 January 2012

The happiest golfer in the world

I’m the happiest golfer in the world. Since yesterday. And it's guaranteed to stay this way, for 24 hours at least.
I’ve just come back from the range. For the second day in a row, I’ve hit high, long straight shots with the mildest suggestion of draw. Me. The guys who hits ugly low cuts.
Of course, this is one of those dangerous self-diagnoses. Self-delusion, I know, is often an immediate neighbour. But I really, really do believe my swing is changing from an over-the-top pattern to an inside-to-square-to –inside.
I think I’ve (largely) stopped my hand roll. I think I’m releasing correctly at last. I think my left arm is extending for the first time beyond impact. I think my upper body is rotating around my spine and turning through to the target. I think my hips are behaving, and resisting rather than slipping and sliding.
Really. I do.
Now all I’ve got to do is wait for it to stop raining and put in a proper round after my local course stops impersonating a quagmire. I really, really believe I've got a mid-70s in me. Really. I do.
Knightsbridge Dave, Knightsbridge Steve, thank you for letting me write ‘Golf’s Golden Rule’ with you. I really think you may inadvertently have turned me into a golfer.
I’m the happiest golfer in the world. That's 48 hours of golfing happiness, and all in a row. I promise to return to this blog tomorrow – even if it means admitting to the most tragic of self-delusions. But I don't think it will come to that. Really. I don't.



1 comment:

  1. all sounds very promising - I look forward to seeing it in action. Precision Golf had to blow me out the other day, but a decent session on the range has reminded me that the errors are more likely to be in my swing than in my clubs (even if a bit of tinkering could improve things). I focussed on having a firm left side through impact, with the sensation (in comparison with what I had done before, at least) of staying behind the ball more - this also had the effect of encouraging my arms to extend more after impact. It all felt pretty good, but I admit to being slightly confused at times as to what my focus should be!

    ReplyDelete