Monday 23 January 2012

A Good Muscle Strain?


I've just strained a muscle down my right side - or the right side of my backt. I’m trying to convince myself that this is good, even if it makes sitting in front of my laptop uncomfortable.

I’m trying to convince myself, indeed, that it’s due to my at last beginning to ingrain a correct move into impact and follow-through.

I’m not saying this should cause a muscle strain. In fact, I’m sure it shouldn’t. But when you’ve been moving your body in a completely different way for years – forever, actually – it seems natural enough for your body to grumble.

When I was interviewing Dave for ‘Golf’s Golden Rule’, he mentioned that Nick Faldo used to feel his right side holding back for a fraction of a second as the downswing began. That seems to have struck a chord with me. I’m getting the feeling of holding my right shoulder and hip back, rather than letting them spin out and over as per usual.

It’s yet to be course or even range tested. It’s still in the early stages of kitchen-mirror development. But I like the new feeling a lot, despite the strain. Sneak out this afternoon and bash a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment